Amador Township has a long and
colorful history. The first explorers to the Amador area were
the French who began trading with the Chippewa for furs about
1650. The northern and part of the eastern boundary of the
township is the St. Croix River which was one of the main
modes of transportation for the Indians and the early fur
traders. The Chippewa and Sioux had many battles in the
township as evidenced by the number of Indian arrowheads and
spears found in farm fields during the 1900ís.
Land in the area now known as
Amador Township became available for sale in the Indian Treaty
of 1837. The demand for land continued into the 1850ís with
the land along the river being the most in demand. The
village of Amador was platted along the St. Croix River and
settled by Yankee land speculators and at one time boasted a
hotel, several homes and other businesses. There is no trace
other than former basements of this village today. The area
where Amador was located is now in Wild River State Park.
Dr. Carmi P. Garlick, was one of
the Yankee land speculators that first settled the area
where the village of Amador was located along the St. Croix
River in the early 1850's. He built a sawmill there which
later burned. Dr. Garlick traveled to California
during the Gold Rush and spent time in Amador County, CA.
After returning, he named the village Amador and later named
the township Amador in 1857. Amador is a Spanish word
meaning "lover of gold". Amador Township became
a Swedish community with a Spanish name - a little known
fact. Garlick had major financial losses in the
late 1850's and moved to Osceola, Wisconsin.
The first Chisago County settlers arrived by flat boat
in 1851 in
the area known as Taylors Falls and followed trails to the
Chisago Lakes area. They were followed by thousands of
immigrants from Sweden. Travel was mostly limited to river
travel and steamboats and flatboats made regular trips up the
river. The river valley was heavily wooded and very scenic. Swedish Immigrants started
settling in Amador Township in the 1860-1880 era.
The village of Almelund was
founded by John Almquist in 1887 after he heard that a
Lutheran Church was being constructed at this crossroads
between Taylors Falls and North Branch. Mr. Almquist built a
general store which served the community for almost 30 years
before it burned in 1911.
The Swedish Evangelical Lutheran
Emmanuel Church was built in 1887 for a cost of $490 with all
volunteer labor. This church served the community until 1926
when the community constructed a new large brick church for
Church memorabilia is located in
the church and in the Amador Heritage Center which has a
replica of the first structure made by Carl Almquist. The
museum also has replicas of the first creamery and a large
variety of other local and community memorabilia. The museum
is open on Sunday afternoons in the summer months or by
appointment. Contact Lin Strong at 651-269-3580.
Additional historical data can be
found in Reflections of Amador, written by Jim Cordes.