Amador Heritage Center
was established in
1978 after the North Branch School District sold the land and
buildings to the township for $1. A group of citizens
formed the society which has collected local memorabilia and
formed the museum in the former two room brick school house.
The former two room brick school
house was built in 1910. The children walked hand in
hand from the first wood frame school built in 1890 (located
at the intersection of Maple Street and CSAH #12) to this new
school. The 1890 School is now the Amador Town Hall.
A large collection of local
memorabilia was donated by Carl Almquist, a major supporter of
the society which formed the museum.
The property is owned by Amador
Township and maintained by the Friends of the Amador Heritage
Center. They sponsor a community event, the
“Almelund Apple Festival” the third Sunday of
September each year in order to support this project.
Please consider donating a pie or
a couple of hours for this event. You don’t have to live
in our township to support us!
In 1990, the society purchased an
additional parcel of land from the Clifton Sjoberg estate for
a Swedish Immigrant Log Farm.
The first log
structure was donated by Rodger Nelson and was the original
Gustaf Shoberg dwelling constructed in 1869.
The second log
structure was donated by Allen Peltier and was originally on
the Ringstrom farm. This is an early, 1850 era small
log cabin and is located in the woods to the north of the
A wood frame
storage building was donated by Marlene Smith.
A log granary
was donated by the Johnson family and moved to the site in
donated the 1888 Peter Hasselquist log cabin in 2006. It
constructed in 2007 behind the museum - with the green trim.
We are looking for funding to finish this structure.
Mary and Dave Hanson donated
the 1880 era log barn. This is also the location of
the "Log Barn Cinema!"
All of the log
cabins have been reconstructed with help from the
While some church memorabilia is
located in the Immanuel Lutheran Church, some is also located in the Amador
Heritage Center which also has a replica of the first church
structure made by Carl Almquist. The museum also has
replicas of the first creamery and a large variety of other
local and community memorabilia.
Donations of vintage clothing,
furniture and local memorabilia are appreciated. The
museum is open on Sunday afternoons in the summer months and
at other times by
appointment. Contact Lin Strong at 651-269-3580 for more
Your donations and memorial gifts are very much appreciated.
The Amador Heritage Center is a chapter of the Chisago County
Historical Society, a 501C32 non-profit organization.
Donations may be sent to Amador Heritage Center, 15695 – 368th
Street, Almelund, MN 55012.